Drakes Access Statement
- Built as two townhouses in the 1820’s by the celebrated partnership of architect Charles Busby and builder Amon Wilds, drakes is a grade 2 listed building and has retained many of its beautiful architectural features. However, as a consequence, the structure of the building presents some physical barriers to accessibility.
- Whilst we are able to accommodate guests with limited mobility, we do not have facilities suitable for those guests who are confined to a wheelchair. There is no passenger lift in the building -only a luggage lift.
- If you do have any special requirements please do not hesitate to contact us before making a reservation so that we can endeavour to meet your requirements.
- We welcome correspondence by phone, fax, letter or email.
- This document, the hotel brochure, tariffs and all menus can be provided in a larger font, and are also available on our website.
- A printed route to the hotel can be provided on request
- Brighton train station is located at the north end of Queens Road, which is approximately a 20 minute walk from us, although there is a taxi rank available at the station's exit. Fare to drakes will cost around £5 depending on traffic. Brighton & Hove buses stop at the station - board numbers 12, 14 and 27 which all pass drakes; you will need to get off at the New Steine bus stop.
- Pool Valley bus station is located just off the Old Steine near to the Brighton Pier, and is approximately 5 minutes walk away
- We can arrange a taxi to collect you.
- We do try to call you prior to your arrival to check that you know where we are and to offer advice on getting to Brighton, restaurants and to answer any queries.
- drakes is strictly a non smoking environment.
Arrival & Parking
- Drakes forecourt features a large rock water feature, backed by a discrete glass sign - please note there is no signage on the building.
- We have small level red resin bound forecourt with parking for up to 4 cars, this leads onto 6 tiled steps up in to a pillared porch with double doors, the right door is the larger and has an intercom door bell, this door is open and freely accessible from 7.00 to 23.00.
- We have a further 11 off road car parking spaces just off Rock Place in a private residential forecourt, which are available on a first come, first served basis and are charged at £15.00 per night. On arrival please come into Reception and our Hosts will allocate you a space and issue a parking permit for the duration of your stay. On the rare occasions that there is no parking available, there is on-street parking, a local NCP and parking at Brighton Marina all of which are close by.
Reception & Ground Floor
- When you first enter drakes you will see the original cantilever staircase to the bedrooms directly in front of you. Reception is located within the Bar lounge on the ground floor to the right of the entrance.
- Registration is at the bar (112cm high) or if you choose at an available table in the lounge area.
- We will take your luggage to your room.
- Once registration is completed we will show you to your room, run through some of the features and more technical contents of your room.
- The Bar lounge has glass tables with leather tub chairs and three small sofas and offers drinks via both bar and table service.
- There is one unisex toilet on the ground floor to the right of the main staircase at the approach to the lower ground floor.
Lower Ground Floor
- The lower ground floor is only accessible from behind the main staircase with 14 steps going down/up. At the bottom to the left is the restaurant.
- The restaurant is table service only, with large print available by prior arrangement. We can cater for most diets, but please let us know at time of booking. The restaurant provides intimate candle lit dining, additional lighting can be provided on request.
- The restaurant has two unisex toilets at the rear of the restaurant.
- To the right, from the staircase and one further step down is the meeting/private dining room.
- The hotel has 20 bedrooms, 18 doubles and 2 large singles located on the ground, first, second, third and fourth floors.
- There is no passenger lift access to the upper floors and are accessed by one of the two staircases from the ground floor lobby.
- All rooms have recycled bamboo wood flooring with an inlay of carpet, on which the beds (65cm high) stand.
- Duvets and pillows as standard are a hypo-allergenic treated mixture of goose and duck down, though non-feather is available upon request. Rooms vary in size and features with 4ft, 5ft, 6,ft and 7ft wide beds, please advise us before booking if you have any special requirements
- All rooms are equipped with remote controlled colour televisions with full Sky packages (all in English), Note: there is no teletext available. DAB/FM radios with i-pod dock, telephone, information pack/folder are available in each room). Free wi-fi is available throughout the hotel.
- All rooms are fully air conditioned.
- All bedrooms are equipped with fire detection and alarm.
- In your room will be:
TOILETRIES: each guest receives their own complimentary pack of White Company toiletries.
BATHROBE: we do provide a large waffle robe for each guest for use during your stay.
SLIPPERS: each guest gets a complimentary pair of luxury branded drakes slippers to keep.
TOWELS: fluffiest Egyptian cotton bath, hand and face towels.
HAIR DRYERS: Hair dryers available in every room.
TEA & COFFEE FACILITIES: a selection of Twinings teas are provided in every room, along with fresh ground coffee for cafetieres. Fresh milk is always provided on request and if you fancy a cappuccino, latte or alternative tea variety, please let us know and we will be happy to bring it up to you.
MAGAZINES: each room has a selection of premier magazines, such as Vogue, Food & Travel and a local publication just in case you're too comfy and prefer to relax in your room.
MINERAL WATER: - complimentary locally sourced bottles of Hilton still and sparkling water are available in the room. Please contact Reception if you would like more. These subsequent bottles will be charged at £3.00 for a 70cl bottle.
- All rooms have bath or shower/wet rooms & toilet, many of our rooms have free standing baths (72cm in height) in the bedroom area.
- Most bathroom floors are tiled with under floor heating for quick drying.
- Non-slip bath or shower mat are available on request.
- There are lever taps on all sinks and baths.
- All toilets have a push button dual flush system.
- Reception is manned 24 hours, therefore emergency assistance is available at any time.
- Guest requiring assistance in the event of an emergency evacuation must log details with reception on arrival.