Drakes Access Statement
- Built as two townhouses in the 1820’s by the celebrated partnership of architect Charles Busby and builder Amon Wilds, Drakes is situated in a Grade 2 listed building and has retained many of its beautiful architectural features. However, as a consequence, the structure of the building presents some physical barriers to accessibility.
- Whilst we are able to accommodate guests with limited mobility, we do not have facilities suitable for those guests who are confined to a wheelchair or struggle with stairs. There is no passenger lift in the building -only a small luggage lift.
- If you do have any special requirements please do not hesitate to contact us before making a reservation so that we can endeavour to meet your requirements.
- We welcome correspondence by phone, fax, letter or email.
- This document, the hotel brochure, tariffs and all menus can be provided in a larger font, and are also available on our website.
- A printed route to the hotel can be provided on request
- Brighton train station is located at the north end of Queens Road, which is approximately a 20 minute walk from us, although there is a taxi rank available at the station's exit. Fare to drakes will cost around £5 depending on traffic. Brighton & Hove buses stop at the station - board numbers 12, 14 and 27 which all pass drakes; you will need to get off at the New Steine bus stop.
- Pool Valley bus station is located just off the Old Steine near to the Brighton Pier, and is approximately 5 minutes walk away
- We can arrange a taxi to collect you.
- We do try to call you prior to your arrival to check that you know where we are and to offer advice on getting to Brighton, restaurants and to answer any queries.
- drakes is strictly a non smoking environment.
Arrival & Parking
- Drakes forecourt features a large rock water feature, backed by a discrete glass sign - please note there is no signage on the building.
- Four car parking spaces are available on our forecourt, which is tarmac-ed in red for greater visitbility. This then leads to 6 tiled steps up to a pillared porch entrance of the hotel. The right door is wider and this door is open and freely accessible from 7.00 to 23.00. There is an intercom door bell outside of these hours and should you require assistance.
- We have a further 9 off road car parking spaces available virtually next door in a private residential forecourt. All parking is offered on a first come, first served basis and are charged at £15.00 per night. There is no charge for Blue Badge holders and we will endeavour to park people with mobility issues on the forecourt, directly outside the hotel. On arrival, please come into Reception and our Hosts will allocate you a space and issue a parking permit for the duration of your stay. On the rare occasions that there is no parking available, there is on-street parking and a local NCP near by.
Reception & Ground Floor
- Upon entering the hotel, you will notice an original cantilever staircase which is the access to the majority of the guestrooms. There are two double a more easily accessible rooms on this elevated ground floor and which are accessed down two steps. One had wide double doors into a long wet room for easy access. Our Hosts are on had 24hr per day to assist you with these steps or helping with luggage.
- Our Reception Lounge is located to the right of the main entrance. Registration is at the bar (112cm high) but you may take a seat at a table in the Lounge and we will assist you there with the check in procedure.
- We will accompany you and take your luggage to your room. Our Hosts will point out some of the features and make you aware of meeting points and fire exits in the event of an emergency
- A comprehensive Guest Directory is available in each room for full information, but you are always welcome to call Reception by dialling 0 on the in room telephone.
- The Reception Lounge is open 24hrs for our Hotel guests where a full bar service, hot beverages and some light bits are available through the night. Room service is available also round the clock.
- There is one unisex toilet on this floor to the right of the main staircase.
Lower Ground Floor
- The main access to the lower ground floor is from behind the main staircase with 14 steps going down/up. At the bottom to the left is the restaurant. this is rather a narrow staircase and quite long.
- Via an exterior undercroft staircase, wider and less steep access is possible to the restaurant. We are available to assist you, if necessary.
- The restaurant is table service only, with large print menus available by prior arrangement. We can cater for most dietary requirements, but would ask that you inform us in advance. The restaurant provides intimate candle lit dining, additional lighting can be provided on request.
- The restaurant has two unisex toilets at the rear of the restaurant.
- To the right at the bottom of the internal staircase and down one further step is the Private Dining Room/Meeting room.
- The hotel has 20 bedrooms located on the ground, first, second, third and fourth floors. There are 18 doubles/queens and king bedded rooms and 2 with cosy doubles.
- There is no passenger lift access to the upper floors and are accessed by one of the two staircases from the ground floor lobby.
- All rooms have recycled bamboo wood flooring with an inlay of carpet, on which the beds (65cm high) stand.
- Duvets and pillows as standard are a hypo-allergenic treated mixture of goose and duck down, though non-feather is available upon request. Rooms vary in size and features with 4ft, 5ft, 6,ft and 7ft wide beds, please advise us before booking if you have any special requirements
- All rooms are equipped with remote controlled colour televisions with full Sky packages (all in English), Note: there is no teletext available. DAB/FM radios with i-pod dock, telephone, information pack/folder are available in each room). Free wi-fi is available throughout the hotel.
- All rooms are fully air conditioned.
- All bedrooms are equipped with fire detection and alarm.
- In your room will be:
TOILETRIES: each guest receives their own complimentary pack of White Company toiletries.
BATHROBE: we do provide a large waffle robe for each guest for use during your stay.
SLIPPERS: each guest gets a complimentary pair of luxury branded drakes slippers to keep.
TOWELS: fluffiest Egyptian cotton bath, hand and face towels.
HAIR DRYERS: Hair dryers available in every room.
TEA & COFFEE FACILITIES: a selection of Twinings teas are provided in every room, along with local Brighton Red Roaster coffee. Fresh milk is always provided on request and if you fancy a cappuccino, latte or alternative tea variety, please let us know and we will be happy to bring it up to you.
MAGAZINES: each room has a selection of magazines, such as Food & Travel and a local publication just in case you're too comfy and prefer to relax in your room.
MINERAL WATER: - complimentary locally sourced bottles of Hilton still and sparkling water are available in the room. Please contact Reception if you would like more. These subsequent bottles will be charged at £3.00 for a 70cl bottle.
- All rooms have bath or shower/wet rooms & toilet, many of our rooms have free standing baths (72cm in height) in the bedroom area.
- Most bathroom floors are tiled with under floor heating for quick drying.
- Non-slip bath or shower mat are available on request.
- There are lever taps on all sinks and baths.
- All toilets have a push button dual flush system.
- Reception is manned 24 hours, therefore emergency assistance is available at any time.
- Guest requiring assistance in the event of an emergency evacuation must log details with reception on arrival.